Saturday, July 10, 2010

You may not know, but Holland is tropical

Since I arrived, Holland has maintained an above 80 degree average. This trend has driven me to ice cream stands, cold beverages (mostly beer), and standing in front of the refrigerator too long. Despite the heat, it has been a rather successful two weeks. I have gotten a chance to meet a lot of artists and check out residencies here in Rotterdam. I look forward to returning next year for a longer stay, hopefully to work on a new project. As scheduled, I gave a lecture last week about my time in Finland. It coincided nicely with the World Cup Netherlands vs. Brazil game. We were expecting a good crowd so first we spruced up the garden a bit. One of the permanent residents, Marielle Buitendijk and I decided to collaborate...

From Rauma Blog


People began to show up and had a lot of fun interacting with the space we had created. On the bar and the ground I had posted small "reserved" stickers over areas I had cleaned the day before, a few bricks steps here, a spot to stand there, a few places to 'reserve' your drink. The whole night people were asking each other if they could sit or place their drink down...

Person A "Is this spot taken?
Person B "Uhhhh, I don't know, are they here yet?"
Person A "Who?"
Person B "I don't know."

From Rauma Blog


Around 8:30 the game began. Perhaps from the photos you can see who won!

From Rauma Blog


From Rauma Blog


The artist lectures followed this amazing game. There was no way to compete with the excitement of the win, but we did our best.

From Rauma Blog


...I went first

From Rauma Blog


From Rauma Blog


Followed by Jan Bokma
who traveled all the way from the north and installed his animation with audio for the event!

From Rauma Blog


Finally a studio visit with Gerben Meinders who is the current AIR.

From Rauma Blog




The night was completed by a great BBQ party.

From Rauma Blog


From Rauma Blog


"The Greatest BBQ ever!"
From Rauma Blog


A big THANK YOU goes out to the artists and the people of Het Wilde Weten for organizing this great event.

1 comment:

  1. So uhhh... it's a shame about today's game huh? SO CLOSE! :]

    It's been lingering in the 90's here in NY. Strange how EVERYONE'S having oddly warm weather.

    ReplyDelete